247Tales.com is a site that has a monthly writing competition with significant cash prizes. What makes this different is that the stories have to be 247 words or less, meaning the writing is not too onerous. With the topic undefined, your students will be allowed to let their creative juices flow. Requires a UK address for entries although (weirdly) international students can enter via that address. There are several prizes per month and often a reading accompanies the month's theme.
- Motivate learners to write and edit their work to a very precise brief
- Challenge learners to submit a tale per month with a class leader board to track progress
- Provides a real audience for writing so learners can really think about tailoring their writing
- Comments feature means learners can leave feedback for each other on the site
- Use as a monthly assessment tool with learners checking their development against their learning goals